This is inspired by my favorite vegetarian sandwich at Chez Lulu, a cafe and bakery in Birmingham, Alabama. I love the combo of thinly sliced sweet pear with pungent goat cheese, lightly dressed greens and toasted nuts. I used a plain version of our Knead-less Olive-Rosemary Bread, but any type of whole grain bread will do the trick.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mixed salad greens
- 1 ounce goat cheese
- 2 (1-1/2 ounce) slices whole grain bread
- 1 slice onion, separated into rings
- 5 thin pear slices
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped toasted walnuts
Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Add salad greens, tossing to coat. Spread cheese on 1 slice of bread. Top with greens, onion, pear, walnuts and remaining slice of bread.