I wanted a more crumbly (as opposed to flakey) tart crust for the Cherry Apricot Almond Tart I make. This simple pastry dough recipe is it.
- ¼ cup toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg + 1 yolk, beaten
- 3 tablespoons cold water, as needed
Pulse the almonds and sugar together in a food processor until finely ground. Add flours, butter and salt and process until consistency of wet sand. Add egg and as much water as needed, little by little, until dough comes together into a ball. Divide into two balls, flatten into 4-inch discs, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer.
Makes 2 crusts