Christopher and I pulled this together on a whim one night when we were dialing back to just veggies, healthy fats and whole grains. We had eggplant and tomatoes in the garden, onions in the pantry, and a brand new Magic Bullet on the counter. This grilled eggplant recipe demonstrates that all it takes to make a healthy dinner is a few simple ingredients!
- 2 pounds eggplant, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes (preferably plum tomatoes of some sort), quartered
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, roughly torn
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Preheat grill to medium.
In a large bowl, toss the eggplant slices with 3 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper. Grill for 10-12 minutes, flipping once or twice, until browned and super-tender. Transfer back to the bowl.
While eggplant is cooking, blam tomatoes, onion, garlic, remaining 1 tablespoon oil and a pinch of salt and pepper in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan and bring to a medium boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until sauce has thickened to your liking (the time it takes for the sauce to thicken will depend on the consistency of the tomatoes, and the longer it cooks, the more concentrated it will become).
Serve by spooning 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce onto a plate and topping with eggplant slices. Scatter basil and pine nuts on top.