These Greek-inspired zucchini fritters make great hors d’oeuvres or a light vegetarian dinner served with a green salad and tzatziki.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup medium bulgur
- 1 pound zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini), grated and spun dry in a salad spinner
- 3/4 cup coarse bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup grated onion, strained
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divded
Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan and add bulgur. Cover, turn off heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
In a large bowl, mix together bulgur, zucchini, bread crumbs, flour, onion, parsley, cayenne, garlic, egg, salt and pepper.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and swirl in 2 tablespoons oil. When hot, spoon 1/4 cup mounds of batter into the pan, leaving room in between each so that air can circulate. Flatten slightly with a spatula and cook for 4-6 minutes, until well browned. Flip, flatten gently again, and continue cooking for another 4-6 minutes.
Remove fritters to a plate lined with a paper towel and repeat once more with remaining oil and batter.
Sprinkle with additional sea salt if desired.